As Regional grows, so does our need for volunteers
Our volunteers are ready with warm smiles and ever-ready helping hands.
Regional Medical Center of San Jose welcomes and values volunteers who come to the hospital each day. These are the volunteers who give their time, patience, talent, and smiles to employees, patients and visitors for the sheer joy of helping others. The hospital has many opportunities for adults as well as high school students to work within a variety of hospital settings. The goal of our volunteer department is to provide assistance wherever needed in the hospital. We do not perform medical or nursing duties. Instead, our dedicated volunteers bring an extra touch of friendliness and comfort to the patients and visitors of Regional Medical Center of San Jose.
No special skills are required, though they are appreciated. We work with our volunteers so their assignments closely match their interests, skills and experience. Please see the applications for more details.
Our volunteers provide services in different departments at Regional Medical Center of San Jose. Volunteers are involved at the Front Desk, Dispersal, Emergency Department, Surgical Area, Pre-Surgical Area and other departments.
Benefits of volunteering
- A free meal for any shift that is 3 hours or more
- Free annual flu shot and TB test (after 1 year of service)
- Free parking
- Hospital special events
- Opportunity to help others and learn new skills
- Work in a friendly and team oriented environment
Current volunteer opportunities
- Front Desk
- Greet visitors, provide information and walk them to their destination
- Emergency Department Advocate
- Provide information and support to patients and visitors
- Enhance hospital services through discharge assistance, wheelchair retrieval and other tasks as needed
- Hospitality Cart
- Greet patients and family members, and offer them beverages, snacks and other items to make them more comfortable
- Escort patients to pre-surgical areas, answer questions, assist with discharging of patients and other tasks as needed.
Adult Volunteer Program
The Adult Volunteer program is open to anyone who is 18 and above. Currently, preference will be given to candidates that are available Monday through Friday, from 8am to 3pm. Spanish and Vietnamese language skills are a plus.
Junior Volunteer Program
The Junior Volunteer program is open to high school students ages 16-17. Students who volunteer at the hospital are able to serve their community while also getting a glimpse of the health care environment. Spanish and Vietnamese language skills are a plus.
The Pastoral Care Program
The Pastoral Care program is open to chaplains with pastoral care experiences. Our Pastoral Care chaplains respond to the spiritual and religious needs of patients, their families, and hospital staff. Interested applicants should have at least 1 year of experience in ministering to the sick and/or relevant experience. For more information about how you can become a Volunteer Chaplain, please contact our Manager of Volunteer Services at 408-928-7060.
For more information about any volunteer program, please contact Volunteer Services at (408) 928-7060.